James liked the white bear Kachina. The bear Kachina is important because of his knowledge of plants and roots. Jesse loved the sheep herder Kachina. The Hopi believed that if they did sacred dances acting as the sheep herder they would have a good hunt. He looks pretty fierce to me.
I loved this Kachina...he is the Ogre Kachina. If he looks creepy to you, then he is doing his job. The intent of this Kachina is to scare all misbehaving Hopi children into listening to their parents. If there was a wide spread problem of naughty children in a village, he would actually appear in the spring time and scare them all straight. There was definitely a scary aura around this particular doll, because neither of my boys would stand in front of him for a picture! The museum also had on display an amazing amount of beautiful pottery found in four mile canyon. It was a fun day!

I want to go! How long is this exhibit going on?
ReplyDeleteFaith had to create a Kachina doll for school a couple of months ago. I had honestly never heard of them before. Cute boys!!
ReplyDelete