Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Goodbye, Hello

These are my last few hours of being 31. I know it's ridiculous to count down your age in hours, but 32 is hitting me hard. I don't know why... I didn't flinch when 30 came rolling around. For some reason I am having a hard time grasping that I have been on this Earth for 32 years...years that have flown by...and in another 32 years I'll be 64...will you still love me when I'm 64? Life happens too fast. I want to have a freeze button that I can push when I'm laughing with my kids or when were hiking together. I want to remember what it feels like to hug little wiggly boys in their footie pajamas...because if I'm getting older, that means that they too are aging and I can't stand the thought of these early years being over so soon. I guess I'm just afraid of forgetting all of these feelings and moments that I have experienced. It seems that time dilutes the memories we have, makes them less real and I want them to be vivid in my mind forever...so for the next 32 years I am going to work on being in the moment. Just being. And noticing all the little things in the day. The little conversations over cereal with the boys, the warm arms that sneak around me while I do the dishes, the laughter that ensues after someone makes a bathroom reference (farts are very funny at our house at the moment). I want to enjoy it all. So, goodbye 31. I'm moving on...

4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to you!!! I'm sorry that this one is stressing you out. I had really similar feelings some months ago as I realized how grown-up my oldest seems these days.

    Anyway, I hope that the stress subsides and that you have a wonderful birthday, filled with many happy surprises! I have always thought the world of you and I'm so happy that we've reconnected!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Kelly! I so hear you when you say you can't stand the thought of the early years being over so soon. It feels like children grow up so fast! I think it's great that you are going to work on being in the moment. I need to too. Anyway, happy 32!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday!! I totally feel your pain!! I will be 36 this summer-UGH!! My issues are looking older and the kids getting so stinkin big!! Faith uses deoderant and even a bra on occasion!!! So, I have tried to adopt your attitude the last couple of years with just being thankful for what I have and realizing that I truly have everything I have ever wanted-great marriage, happy, healthy kids etc. etc... I don't think men struggle with this until they are in their 40's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You totally made me tear up! I just love you and I love how similarly we see the world! You are such a dear friend to me, not just a sister-in-law. I hope you have a wonderful birthday and yes, I will still love you when you're 64 (We'll be on a cruise somewhere with our red and purple hats and the other old ladies in the society!)

    Happy Birthday!!!!

    ReplyDelete